Advertising is not complicated; in fact it can be quite simple and effective.
Over the years we’ve seen a lot of small business owners make the same advertising mistakes over and over again. We thought to ourselves, wouldn’t it be great to have a simple guide to empower and educate business owners on the importance of advertising and avoiding those mistakes.
So here it is. This Blog post, and parts 2 and 3, have been taken from a section of our 4 hour workshop ‘Advertising: It’s not rocket science’.
- Not knowing why you’re in business.
It may seem obvious but you would be surprised at how many small business owners find this question hard to answer. Sure you’re in business to make money, but what do you want to do with that money aside from day to day living.
- So what are you real motivations for being in business? Do you want to retire early and go sailing? Do you want to send the kids to a private school? Do you want to pour your money into your motor racing obsession? Once you know why you’re in business, you’ll know why you get out of bed in the morning.
- What are you long and short-term goals for the business? Do you want to put on an extra staff member, expand into the building next door or put on a manager and go surfing?
Knowing why you’re really in business is important because it helps provide you with a clear direction. Having a tangible goal will give you the right mindset to achieve your vision.
- Not having an Advertising Plan
An Advertising Plan doesn’t need to be complicated. It can be as simple as a rough guide that outlines your advertising schedule for the next 6 to 12 months, or as detailed as you like. It takes into account seasonal events, sales you want to run and the different media you want to use.
- Your Advertising Plan will save you time and stress and allows you to make informed responses to Media Sales Reps who maybe promoting different sales packages.
- It will help you achieve your business and life goals.
An up to date Advertising plan allows you more time to work on your business rather than in it.
- Not maintaining your advertising
It’s as simple as this, if you don’t advertise and continue to advertise, you will be forgotten. If you need to cut costs, whatever you do, don’t cut out your advertising.
- Advertising helps you maintain top of mind awareness. Not everyone will want your product or service all the time, but when they do, you need to be the one they remember.
- Advertising doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Media outlets want your money. They often have special packages and these can save you a lot of cash, but they’re only worthwhile if they align with your Advertising Plan. Do you have one?
- You don’t have to accept every package offered by the Sales Rep and you can tailor your own. Remember they want your money. Be brave and ask what’s the best they can do.
Advertising is meant to generate more revenue, NOT be an expense.
So there you have it. Part 1 of ‘Advertising mistakes and how to avoid them’. In the next Blog post we’ll be tackling Advertising Mistakes Part 2.
Make sure you hit the follow button so you don’t miss them.